A recent report studied “18,000 Facebook Pages from the world’s largest brands” to determine how to “maximize interaction using Facebook timeline.”
Here are some interesting tidbits from their findings:
- Post on days that are best for your industry (for non-profits that is Friday through Sunday). Schedule posts to take advantage of times when other brands are posting less, such as weekends.
- Post between 8 PM and 7 AM to present fans with content when they are not busy.
- Post one or two times per day, but space posts out to avoid exceeding seven posts per week.
- Keep it short: use 80 characters or less per post.
- Use photo attachments or text-only status updates to increase
- Show users a display URL on posts including a link, but track link clicks internally with a shortened URL.
- Use questions to drive dialogue in the form of comments.Place your questions at the end of posts.
- Use “caption this” and “fill in the blank” strategies to drive more comments.
- Use emoticons as a layer of non-verbal communication.
- Use calls to action to explicitly tell fans what action you want them to take.
- Use “softer sell” keywords, which resonate better with users.
You can download the whole report at: buddy media. A cheat sheet with all of the tips can be found on the last page of the report.